Mar 24, 2016

How to dye your hair Pink with Food Dye




And so for the past month or so, I've been sporting a vibrant head of peachy pink. I bleached my hair 3 times with Gatsby's EX Hi-Bleach, giving myself a couple of days in between to rest my scalp.








I first dyed my hair pink with Schwarzkopf's pastel pink hair Semi-Permanent dye. The dye packs were so little it barely covered my head! I dyed it again a couple of days later and managed to cover most of the top of my hair. And they completely washed off within a week =(


So then I tried dying with food dye! By far, I have dyed my hair twice and the last time I did it was 29 feb. Check out the funky stains on my T-shirt.


Freshly dyed semi-dry hair


A few days after. Dry hair.



Because my base colours were not blonde/light enough, the outcome was a murky and dull pink. Which i don't mind at all! 


Anyway, let me cut to the chase , here's all you need to dye your hair with food dye. It works best on light coloured hair and possibly doesn't work at all for black hair. 


THINGS YOU NEED:
  1. Food Dye
  2. Vinegar 
  3. Containers that can be heated (either via Microwave or over the stove)
  4. Sponge
  5. Old facial cleaning brush or toothbrush
  6. Plastic gloves




If you can't or don't want to watch the tutorial video. The whole gist of this method is basically to mix some food dye into a cup of vinegar and then heat the mixture up. Cool the mixture slightly and then massage it into your hair as quickly as you can. The mixture must still be somewhat warm for the colouring to take effect.


This dying method is not comfortable and the vinegar stings the eye. So make sure you do this in a ventilated place and work as fast as you can. 


I used violet food dye and the colour came out mostly pink. I reckon if you want purple, you'd have to pump a lot more blue tones into the mixture.


Depending on how much dye you used and how long you let the mixture sit in your hair, I notice that the dye stained the hair for almost 3 weeks. The last week or so, the colour has pretty much faded to orange. But the effects of this dye is stronger than Schwarzkopf's pastel pink hair Semi-Permanent dye.


A photo posted by Kaika (@elpheal) on



Here's how the hair looks a week later. Take note that Makeup App has been used so the overall photo colour has been brightened. My hair is a darker form of peach pink.


After 3 weeks, my hair is currently orange-y.  You can check out my recent videos to see how my hair progress.



12 March : How to Travel Light .

Here you can see some slight tinge of pink on my fringe.




23 March : Universal Studios Singapore (You can see me after 8:08) 






I'm sorry I realise I don't have any nice photos of myself with the pink hair. But I hope you guys enjoy this entry! Comment and let me know what you think !


No comments: